If you ever wondered what a powdered egg white is and what it’s used for, look no further! This article will provide you with the information you need to understand what powdered egg white is, the health benefits it offers, the different ways you can use it, and how to store it.
What is Powdered Egg White?
Powdered egg white, sometimes referred to as egg white powder, is exactly what it sounds like - a powder form of the hallowed egg white. This food product is made from pasteurized egg whites that have been dried and powdered into a fine, white, granulated form.
Health Benefits of Powdered Egg White
Powdered egg whites are a great source of protein and contain all nine essential amino acids. It is low in calories and fat and high in nutrition, providing more protein per gram than plain egg whites. The powdered form is convenient and easy to use, making it a great addition to any healthy diet. Some studies have even suggested that they may help lower cholesterol, when consumed in moderation.
Furthermore, the powder has a longer shelf life than traditional egg whites, making it perfect for convenience. Because there is no dealing with cracked eggs and separating whites from yolks, it is a tremendous time saver. The powder is also a hygienic alternative for those with allergies to uncooked egg whites.
How to Use Powdered Egg White
Powdered Egg white has a variety of uses and can be incorporated in both sweet and savory dishes. Some of the most common uses include:
• Baking: The powder is an excellent vegan substitute for recipes that call for egg whites, such as meringues, macaron shells, and angel cake.
• Cocktails: The powder is often used as the main ingredient in drinks like the foamy egg white cocktails. It helps to make drinks smooth, frothy, and creamy.
• Smoothies and Shakes: Powdered egg white can also be added to healthy shakes and smoothies. It helps to add protein while making the drink creamier and more satisfying.
• Egg White Omelet: One of the best uses of the powder is in homemade omelets. To make, simply whisk powder with water until it resembles the consistency of egg whites, and then fry up like a regular omelet.
• Pancakes: The powder can be added to pancake batter to give it a protein boost and a light, fluffy texture.
How to Store Powdered Egg White
Powdered egg whites can easily be stored in an airtight container and kept refrigerated for several months. If kept in its original packaging and resealed properly after use, the powder can also be frozen for up to a year. For best results, keep the powder in its original container and keep it away from humidity.
Powdered egg white is a convenient and nutritious food product that can be used in a variety of dishes. It offers a great source of protein and is quick and easy to use. Not only that, but it also has a longer shelf life than regular egg whites, making it a great time saver. Whether you’re vegan or allergic to uncooked egg whites, powdered egg white is an excellent choice for a healthy diet.